Thursday, July 24, 2008

Beam me up Scotty, I’m ready to nerd out

When Kenji told me last week that he was going to go to Durres for the weekend to watch Star Trek, I thought it sounded just nerdy enough to be fun, and hey, I hadn’t been to Durres yet. Before I could go, he asked that I prove my worthiness. After some Vulcan had signs and a few ST:TNG episode references, I was approved. I’m not afraid to admit it; I’ve been watching Star Trek my whole life. It’s my dad’s fault of course. When I was a kid, my dad worked kind of strange hours that meant that I didn’t see a lot of him during the week. During the week, my mom controlled the TV. But on Sunday, it was my dad- 60 minutes and Star Trek. I imagine that I have probably seen almost every episode of TNG and most of the first 5 or so seasons of DS9. After that, my TV interests changed a bit and I started in on Buffy and other such things, but 12-13 years of Star Trek made an impression. It means that I can at least keep up with the real nerds (Matt and Kenji). The weekend was fun- Matt N. made paper maché Klingon hats, Denise (the only non-Trekkie among us) made Romulan ale and French Toast (not Star Trek related, but really good anyway) and we watched several good episodes from the best of Picard set and the best of Q set. The only disappointment with the weekend was that somehow the best of Picard doesn’t include “Best of Both Worlds”- the one where Picard is assimilated by the Borg- and Kenji’s favorite episode. Looks like we are going to have to have another nerd fest soon . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Live long and prosper.

Sandra Jean said...

Sounds like fun!