Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Three Olympic sports I didn’t know existed:
synchronized diving
pistol shooting
handball (kind of like soccer except all you use are your hands)

I’ve been watching the Olympics this week in three different languages (none of them English)- Albanian, German and Italian. I like the German channel the best because there is one announcer that gets really excited at the end of every race and starts yelling, especially if it is a German team winning, but sometimes even when it’s not.

Besides the Olympics, the best part of my week was riding back to Peshkopi in a car (yeah for no bus!) and stopping on the side of the road to pick fresh wild blackberries. Yum!

3 comments:

Linus said...

Yes - they have the lame ass European hand soccer, (popularized by the Nazis, doncha' know) but they DO NOT have actual handball (the enclosed court sport so popular here in Black Vatican City) that has been played all over the world for the last 4000 years!

Sometimes I don't get the Olympic Committee. Rhythmic Gymnastics and Curling are olympic events, but handball isn't?! WTF?!

Anonymous said...

Real handball must not bring enough money to the athletic-industrial complex, and competitive rock wall climbing got co-opted by American Gladiators.

becca said...

Hey there HSBP don't knock curling or Nerdy might just have to hurt you.

Anyway, that's why I was so confused about handball . . . I always thought that it was the game that you guys play (and I've promised to learn if I ever come to BVC again).

They do have badminton though . . .