Friday, October 24, 2008

It’s like crack

Hello, my name is becca and I am an internet-aholic. I didn’t even realize the extent of my addiction until I started to go into withdrawal. For most people, being addicted to the internet is not a big problem. It is safer than cigarettes, cheaper than gambling, easier to get access to than drugs. Most people probably don’t even know the extent of their addiction because of the simple fact that they never have to go without it. I knew when I signed up for the Peace Corps, that my access to internet would probably be limited. I understood that and I was ok with it. When I got here, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that internet access in parts of the country is actually not bad, and for the first three months I was lulled into security by a free wireless connection twice a week (thanks Kendra!) and a good internet café in an emergency. When I got to site I was told not to worry- dial-up, slow but serviceable. And then near the end of August, the dial-up went from slow to impossibly slow (I’m talking a full 5 minutes for a page to load). Only html, no pictures, no skype, no chat.

This week I’m in Tirana, the capital. Tirana has good things: Chinese food, variety of cheese, 24 hour electricity, movie theatres. Oh yeah, and internet. Wireless, DSL, cable. Beautiful. And now I realize my addiction, because it is all I can think about. When the internet it close, all I can think is where I’ll get my next fix. Can I download a new podcast here? Is this fast enough to handle video? Did someone write on my wall? Have I checked my e-mail for the fourth time today!

There are rumors that there will be DSL in Peshkopi soon. I know that this should not be my priority, but my addiction is real and I need it. The first step is just admitting you have a problem.

3 comments:

Inday said...

I know what you mean! I get up a half hour earlier than I really have to so that I can check my email before I go to work. I got on FaceBook so that I could see a photo of one of your friends I work with and find out who he was, now I have 17 friends-only 5 of them that aren't your's and your sisters! I even was found by someone trying to find your sister! I then try to check my internet at work in the break room and then when I get home, even if I am working a double and get home at 11pm!
One of the things I really look forward to is reading your blog. I don't know how my folks did it when it took two weeks for my infrequent "snail mail" to reach them when I was a PCV!
Love, MOM

Linus said...

I like to think of it as a religion, not an addiction.

If you see it as a religion, then thinking about it all the time isn't a "symptom" it's "being devout." Checking your email 4 times a day isn't an obsession, it simply religious fervor... :)

becca said...

Linus-

I like that. Since I seem to be having a bit of a religious rethinking these days anyway, I might as well say that I believe in the internet. I read the sacred texts (blogs) and see signs from the divine (e-mail). Thanks!