Saturday, July 25, 2009

Why modern technology should make life easier but doesn't

What did we do before cell phones? No, really, that's a serious question because I don't remember. So a story of missed connections (and lost luggage):

My friend Jennifer came to Macedonia for a conference and so I decided to go on across the border to meet her. Our fist connection was mostly without incident (except that she was a few hours late in arriving and her luggage was lost who knows where). I came to her hotel, when she wasn't there I waited in the lobby and read a book. But then we planned on meeting up again in the morning and this time we decided to rely on modern technology. Instead of setting a time and place to meet, we said "We'll text." When I hadn't heard from her for about two hours after when I expected to get the message and two of my texts went unanswered, I decided to go ahead and take the bus the 15 minutes to her hotel. Of course about the minute I got to her hotel I finally got the text from her saying that they were downtown! (I'm pretty sure we must have passed each other on the road, but who would ever know!) This whole thing may have been avoided if we had actually tried to make more concrete plans like "meet you at the post office at 10."

This is not the first time when I have relied more on technology than a clear plan to meet someone and have been let down. On the other hand being able to make last minute changes and make other great random connects because of technology is great. I guess the point is that I probably wouldn't want to give up my cell phone, computer etc, but maybe wish I relied on it a little bit less . . .

Luggage update- after two days of calling the airlines to try to locate the missing bags, they were finally found and delivered to the hotel on Sunday morning!

3 comments:

Inday said...

I have been wondering how we did it in the 'old days' when I was a PCV in the Philippines. We had no cell phones or internet. Our school had a phone that was on a party line with the local rock crusher! but somehow we managed to get together for parties and beach outings with the other volunteers in the area???
I guess I'll have to ask several of my 'facebook' friends who were there with me!
Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

You know, I really don't remember very well, but in Davao I think we used to send little notes through a packet of stuff Mr. Romero sent to the Division Office every day. In Bohol, I know that I used the "Pouch" to send mail and stuff to the Health Vols because the Superintendent said it was OK with him.

Inday said...

from Linda who was in Bohol with us:

I tried telegrams but found that giving notes to the bus drivers worked faster and cheaper.
Linda Hixon
July 27 at 11:46am