Monday, January 25, 2010

Serious Hibernation Mode

So far it has been a more mild winter than last year, meaning that we have only had a few light snows and my apartment is hovering around 40 degrees most of the time . . . until this weekend. I have now gone into serious hibernation mode. It is really hard to get out of bed in the cold and just as hard to leave the house once it is warmed up . . . I think I've been sleeping 10-12 hours a night just because it is warmer in bed.

It was bitterly cold on Saturday and so I did the sensible thing and stayed inside with my warm fire. I was all ready to get out and do something on Sunday, but it was still freezing and so I stayed in my pajamas one more day. When I decided that it might be good to do dishes or take a shower I turned on my water and found that this would not be possible . . . looks like my pipes are frozen. I didn't have water for nearly a month last year. I am hoping that this year it will be a much shorter period. I have some theories about my water problem- I live on the second floor of a house, below me is not another living space, but a garage and some storage rooms. My water pump (that normally keeps me in wonderful, hot water 24 hours) also lives below me. Now, because there is a general ignorance or misunderstanding of the concept of insulation here (basically every house is bare concrete/brick, with a plaster layer) I am not surprised that both my water pump and the pipes leading up into my house are frozen. I am expecting to be carrying up buckets of water from the unfrozen pipes in my landlords house for all my water needs for the next few days. All I can hope for is that the deep freeze won't last too long . . .

No comments: