Tuesday, September 18, 2007

BFF with music

Hi, my name is Becca and I'm a musicianaholic.

I was thinking about the trends of my love life lately and I have discovered a very disturbing thing: I am addicted to musicians. A survey of my most recent boyfriends and crushes proves that Becca prefers musicians to all others by a more than 2 to 1 basis. In fact all of Becca's most serious boyfriends were musicians and the only recent crush that Becca has had that was not a musician was in fact an actor (who sometimes sings on stage) and so that almost counts. I will stop talking about myself in the third person now.

I don't really know what it is about the musicians that I love so much- it is not the rock star thing, none of them are famous (yet). It does have something to do with performance, but I needn't have heard them perform to be in love with them (although it helps). Maybe it is the intensity of musicians (and other artists) that I love. Maybe it is just that they are really good looking. Really good looking and talented- deadly combination.

Knowing that I have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery. Wait. Screw that, I like musicians and there is nothing that will change that!

Anyway, my latest musical crush is this guy. Not only is he an amazing singer/songwriter/guitarist, he also has amazing curly hair. And it turns out that we were destined to be best friends. Let me explain. Rob came up to camp a few weeks ago to perform with the flobots in a Sacred Slam. It was an amazing night full of music and poetry and magic. Before the show, I started to talk to Rob. I knew that I had seen him around several times in the past few months- it turns out that we have a lot of mutual friends. In addition to the flobots (MacKenzie actually played on his latest album), he knows people at Buntport and a ton of my friends, like he went to high school with one of my good friends. But I was sure that I knew him from somewhere else. It turns out that we almost worked together at a movie theatre in high school. He stopped working at the theatre at about the same time that I started. I continued to work there for five years, he went on to be a fabulous musician. It was destiny. BFF. That's what we are now. Who can argue with destiny. I know that I don't intend to.

No comments: