Tuesday, September 25, 2007

How did I piss off the weather gods?

I have this theory. . . weather in Colorado and Wyoming is controlled by our own weather gods. I think that these gods take the form of gossipy teenage girls (not unlike the one's I deal with in the middle and high schools I work in). They are affected by the trends of the day. They are very finnicky and change their minds at a moment's notice. Most characteristic of the teenage girl- they do things on a whim, often apparently just to piss you off.




This weekend, the weather gods were not smiling on me and my dad as we tried to enjoy the last weekend of summer with a camping trip to the mountains just across the Wyoming border. The drive up on Saturday was lovely. . . we had blue skies with pretty white clouds. We set up camp and everything seemed peachy. Then in the middle of the night it started to rain. It rained all day on Sunday, basically ruining our plans to hike (although the clouds broke just enough for us to drive around and see the mountains a bit.) It looked like it might clear up on Monday morning. . . then the clouds came back and (in true first day of fall fashion) it started to snow. We packed up camp and made a hasty retreat, deciding that being cold and wet was just not that much fun anymore. Not exactly the best camping trip ever- but I spent some good quality time with my dad, so that's ok. And next time I'll check the weather report, not that that will probably make any difference (spiteful and pernickety weather gods we have here!)

No comments: