Friday, October 12, 2007

not a morning person

and I don't think I ever will be. Just ask my first period calculus teacher from senior year or any of the students in the first period classes I teach now. I've never understood why high schools start so damned early- in Denver it is between 7:15 and 7:45- and I don't think that I ever will. Studies show that teenagers are not alert until about 8:30. Neither am I. The worst part about having to get up early is the feeling that I have to go to bed early. I'm not to good at that. I should go to bed by 9 o'clock to get my required 8 hours. Throughout college, my earliest class was never before 9 AM and every job I've had since then started at 9 or later. So I got used to going to bed late- at the movie theatre I didn't even get off work until 1 AM usually. The problem is that now I have to get up by 6 but I don't really go to bed any earlier. Why does school have to start at 7 AM? Maybe I have to rethink my choice in profession.

1 comment:

Linus said...

When I was a full time student I lived by the first rule of liberal arts scheduling - nothing before 10, nothing after 2. Now, my job requires me to get to my desk by 8, and 7:30 in the summer. Ick. Back to school I need to go...