Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Japanese winter

This story was shared with me by my friend Ben. While I don't have the cool heated table thing, a lot of the rest of the story rings true with my current cold weather situation. All Albanians only heat one room of their house and go to bed with hot water bottles. The warm bath is only a dream at the moment though . . .

Even though I'm sometimes cold (and I complain about it a bit), really it is not that bad. I snuggle up in blankets and am just fine. I think that when I do return to the US I will probably have some different ideas about what it takes to stay comfortable. I am just one person and heating my whole apartment would just be silly and a waste of energy.

Also, if you haven't heard about it, No Impact Man is a cool site to check out. It chronicles the life of a family living in New York and trying to have no carbon footprint. I think that we could all find some good ideas for how to change our lives . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get water again soon. We tried the heating only one room thing when we lived in our first (awesome) apartment in Seattle. The problem is we ended up with a ton of horrible black mold all over the window sills and nearby walls in the rooms that didn't have the drying heat on. I think it depends on the climate whether it's a good idea. Better to have a smaller place with really good insulation (and of course turn the heat down at night) given options.

So I don't remember... have I mentioned that I'm massively pregnant?

Linus said...

My room is the coldest in our house and I like it that way. It was an addition that was built when building codes were much more lax, so until about a month ago their was no insulation in the attic over it. The rest of the house has steam heat, but my room has one electric register. I have a small space heater to keep my birds warm, but for the most part, I only get residual heat from the rest of the house. I think I sleep a lot better because of it...