Monday, January 26, 2009

forced to cook

Like many children of my generation, I grew up in a packaged food household. Even though my mother was a member of a natural foods co-op when I was little, we still ate a lot of things from boxes. I know my mom knows how to cook, but she just never really liked it. Instead she is a baker- I think that nothing makes her happier than a good batch of cookies. I truly am my mother's daughter in this way; I love to bake, but I've never really liked to cook. (Don't ask me about this distinction- I don't really know why. Maybe it has something to do with cutting and chopping meat and vegetables- I don't like to do all that prep.)

A few years ago, some of my friends started a cooking club where every few weeks we would choose a fun theme and then get together and share our cooking interpretations of the theme. I had great fun with this group and was happy because it forced me to find new recipes, try new techniques and cook rather than bake all the time. I loved cooking club, not only because it was great food, but of course because it was a twice monthly get together with good friends. This is one thing that I am truly missing here in Albania.

But Albania is forcing me to cook. While I suppose that it would be possible to get by without cooking here (maybe if I lived in a bigger place with a few more restaurants), Albanian cuisine really is a meat and potatoes affair (with rice) and occasionally a few good vegetable dishes; if I want any variety in my diet, I have to provide it myself. While I have to admit that my diet does contain a lot of pasta, I have also started to branch out: tacos, tuna casserole, chicken parmesean, curry. Sometimes I have to get a little bit creative on ingredients, but for the most part I can find things that I need (or I brought them or had them sent from America). One of the most useful things that I brought with me in fact was an all purpose cook book (Fanny Farmer). The great thing about this book is that it has information (and drawings) about all different kinds of ingredients, as well as instructions on how to prepare all sorts of different things. The only difficulty I've found with the book is that it always assumes that you not only have access to all ingredients, but also to all kitchen utensils and appliances.

I don't think that I will ever be a master cook (and I will probably always bring cookies to pot-lucks like my mom does), when I get home I will have added a few more things to my basic repertoire of foods and I think I'll be able to get by with a few less things out of a box.

3 comments:

Linus said...

I am very lucky to live with a self-confessed "foodie." She keeps our kitchen hopping most of the time, so I can usually cook only when I feel the urge. When I lived alone, I became largely a sandwich eater. Good for you on trying new things!

CLeibman said...

Becca!
I just happened to read your blog today and here is a post on cooking! And cooking club (which has sadly not happened in about 5 months here) is being revived tomorrow night for Chinese New Year, and joanne and ewen just started 'cooking club boston' on Sunday, so, since you are on the cooking bandwagon you should start cooking club Albania! or just learn some cool albanian dishes to bring back here someday.

I hope you are having a great time, I do have your blog on my blog reader, so even though I haven't been in touch, I've had fun reading some of your posts on your various adventures.
-Cindy

Inday said...

I just hated coming up with menus that everyone would eat! Baking was easier! My Grandma Craig taught me how to make pie crust and donuts. Mama made sugar cookies and spritz.