Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Let it snow (and be cold)


Seriously, I don’t want to be that girl who complains about how cold it is all the time, but man is it cold. I now understand how very lucky I was to grow up in a house with central heating. I have a weather ticker on my desktop that tells me the forecast and current temps for both Peshkopi and Denver (or anywhere else I would want). Over the past few weeks I’ve seen that Denver is actually a bit colder than Peshkopi in general, but I have never felt this cold all the time! The biggest difference of course, as I’ve mentioned before, is that the houses are not well insulated and they don’t have heating systems. While my wood stove works well to heat one room it leaves the rest of the house frigid (going to the bathroom feels like going on an arctic expedition). My biggest issue since I returned to p-town for New Years is that my pipes seem to be frozen and I have not had more than a trickle of water for more than a week. This makes washing clothes, dishes and myself pretty difficult.

On the bright side, it has been snowing a lot and I love the snow. It covers the whole city in a beautiful blanket of white and as long as I don’t have anywhere to go, I’m happy. In fact one of my favorite things is snuggling in front of my fire with a hot cup of coco and reading a good book. It’s just when I have to go outside (or to the other room) that there’s a problem.

For now, I can deal with the water issues and the cold. Let it snow!

No comments: