Monday, January 5, 2009

New Years- Shpiperia style

New Years- Shpiperia style
For the almost 50 years on Communism in Albania, religion was basically eliminated and all religious holidays were not celebrated. Additionally, about 70% of the country and 99% of my area are Muslims (if they are anything), so Christmas is not exactly a big deal here. This doesn’t mean that you don’t see Santa (Babagjushi- literally father-grandfather) everywhere and there aren’t trees, decorations and lots of fireworks all over the place. The Albanians have adopted all of the things that we normally associate with the commercialization of Jesus’s birth for New Years.

I decided to spend the big holiday of New Years in Peshkopi, to see how a real Albanian New Years Eve would be. I was invited over for dinner to my friend Merita’s house to spend the night with her and her parents. She made way too much food; we had wine and counted down to midnight together. It was a lovely way to spend the holiday and I felt like it was a fitting way to finish what has really been an amazing year.

We could hear the fireworks going off all night, but I think that it was much calmer here than in the bigger cities. For a video of what a crazy NYE is like in Durres, check out my friend Matt's blog here.

A year ago I don’t really think I could have imagined what this year would be like. A year ago I had just accepted the invitation to come to Albania, but I really had no idea what I would be in for. A year ago I didn’t know a word of Albanian and now as my co-workers say I understand nje qind per qind (100%). A year ago I was partying with all my friends and cutting off Chronic’s long hair. A year ago I was a substitute teacher.

Last year my resolutions were a little bit open ended:

1. Be brave.
2. Follow through.
3. Go to yoga classes.
4. Get out of Denver.

Being brave and following through are things that I work on all my life, and I think that I have done a pretty good job of doing those things this year, but they will always be on my list. Getting out of Denver. Check. I think I’m about as far out of Denver as I can get right now . . . ok so the yoga . . .

So now for some New Year’s resolutions- Peace Corps style:

1. Always wash dishes and clothes when you have water, there is no telling when the water might cut out.
2. Remember to bring shopping bags whenever I go out so that I don’t have to use plastic.
3. Make visits to my landlord’s house more often for social calls and not just for business.
4. Get the Outdoor Ambassadors club started.
5. When it is warm enough again- start doing the pilates and workout videos again.

Gezuar Viten i Ri 2009!

Me and Merita (don't worry, she was actually happy, she just doesn't like to smile in pictures!)

No comments: