Tuesday, February 10, 2009

laptop withdrawl

So my computer is having issues. Or rather my computer plug is having issues making the rest of computer just not work at all. This little piece of metal and plastic makes such a difference . . .


Anyway, so for the past two weeks or so, I have not been able to use my laptop. For the most part, it is just an annoyance more than a real problem. Luckily, I am able to use the internet on computers in the World Vision office. So, I am able to check my e-mail, write blogs etc. The big problem is that I tend to do a lot of things off-line at home and then bring my computer in (such as writing blogs). Also, (and this is the part that makes me feel the most like a spoiled brat) I like to watch tv shows and movies at home on my computer, and I like to download podcasts with news and other stuff. Without my laptop I can't do either of these things and it makes me just feel annoyed.


Without the movies and tv shows on my computer, I have been reading and watching Albanian tv more. I am lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it) to have a tv and a hook-up to my neighbors satellite. I don't have a lot of channels and occasionally for what seems like no reason at all my channels will change. What I have: 4 or 5 Italian channels- these would be great if I spoke Italian, but as it is I don't and they are really annoying because although they have a lot of shows and movies that I would like to watch, they are all dubbed! So I can't watch them at all without being bothered by the fact that I can't speak Italian (btw a lot of Albanians learn Italian at a young age by watching programs on tv). 1 French channel (same problem as the Italian channels). 2 German channels- one a German shopping/random other stuff channel (occasionally they have poker tournaments?) and EuroSport a German sports channel- I watch this sometimes if it is a sport I like, cause it doesn't really matter what language sports are in, but I don't really like watching most sports, so . . .

And then various Albanian channels including: news, cartoons, and a few regular networks with a mixture of programs. Also available- Big Brother Albania channel. Yes, there is an entire channel devoted to Big Brother. It's big here. And people watch it. . . all day long. The channels that I watch most often are the ones that have most of their content in English- DigiFilm and Junior TV. Now, on the satellite service there are 4 or 5 DigiFilm channels (basically HBO-type movie channels). I only get one DigiFilm 7- the action movie channel. Which means that occasionally there will be some lost gem like the whole Terminator trilogy or Superman 2 or Bond movies or a good recent action flick, but more often it is full of Jean Claude Van Dam and Bruce Lee movies that I never had an inclination to watch before . . . The other channel, Junior TV is basically the Disney Channel, full of the Olsen Twin movies, Hannah Montana and everything else rated PG or less. I watch this channel much more than I would care to admit, and even more embarrassing is how put out I get when one of the movies is dubbed (like SpyKids 2 the other day), and how I usually watch the dubbed movies anyway (at least they are dubbed in a language that I more or less understand). . .

My only hope is that the package from home with my new computer cord comes quickly. . .

6 comments:

Linus said...

Oddly enough, I just had to order a new cord for my laptop as well - and Apple wanted like 70 bucks for it!

becca said...

Apparently it is a pretty common problem (that the electricity situation here probably made worse). There is also a lawsuit about defective cords that you should check out if your computer is less than three years old (mine missed the deadline by 3 months!) and you could get a refund for the replacement cord. Grrrrrr, I hate computers sometimes!

becca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linus said...

Well, mine is broken because it got crushed - not a defect in manufature (I wish).

I decided to go with a cord from another company, and it was more like $25. They promise that it works with my Mac... we shall see. :)

Linus said...

...
Apparently, the broken cord has prevented me from properly spelling "manufacture"
:/

Vinnit Alex said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.