Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Plot me uje

This morning as I headed to the office I could immediately tell that something was wrong as I saw my coworkers sweeping piles of water out the front door. It looks like one of the taps in the bathroom is broken and as we were all in Tirana for the past two days, when the water came on, it came on hard! The whole office was flooded with about 6 centimeters of water- enough to get all the computers sitting on the floor wet (even though when the office flooded last summer we put the computers off the floor slightly with styrofoam). So, we spent the morning sweeping out the water, sorting out the computers and cords and hoping for the best. Hopefully, the computers will dry out with little damage. In the meantime, since my computer is still out of commision (why is it that when I am waiting for a package it seems to take forever- it has been three weeks and it is killing me! Must be something about a watched pot doesn't boil . . . ) I am at the office of another NGO where they have graciously allowed me to use the internet for a few minutes (the local internet cafe is also not working now as there are power cuts and they don't have a generator).

Isn't it a bit ironic that I didn't have running water for most of the month of January (I have it now, thank God!), and now what is causeing problems is too much water!

This is not really what I wanted to come back to from my first weekend out of town in 6 weeks. On the bright side, I had a great weekend with friends down in Berat and got to see a movie in Tirana. The next few weeks promise to be very busy with the Model United Nations conference coming up next week, a training for Outdoor Ambassadors the week after and a big meeting with community members here to finish the Design process for the World Vision project somewhere in between.

4 comments:

Linus said...

That just plain sucks. I hope you haven't lost too much data...

becca said...

Water update-

The computers all dried out over night (with the help of gas heaters on high) and once sorted out and plugged in it seems like everything is working fine. Still waiting on my charger though . . .

Anonymous said...

Mail theft is always a risk in countries where PCV's work. Maybe that's a bit harsh, but it's a reality. At the same time, it just takes a long time for stuff to get through to those countries. Patience is a virtue.

Rachel said...

I'm glad to hear your computers survived the flood. I was bummed to miss your call a couple weeks back. Keep trying to call.