Thursday, May 22, 2008

Dua Shikoj një film- Jo, nuk mund të shikoj një film

I love going to see movies in the theatre. I love watching movies in general, but there is something about watching a movie in a theatre that is extra special for me. This is probably mostly due to the fact that I spent the some of my most formative years (from age 17 to 22) working in a theatre. I love seeing a movie on the big screen, but I also love the social interaction aspect of actually going out and going to a movie. At home, if I was ever feeling down or just needed some girl time, I knew I could count on one of my girls to go with me to see something completely bad and sappy (probably staring Reese Witherspoon and any one of several cute guys). Whenever a dance movie came out, I could count on Sam to gather 20 of us to fill two rows of seats at the late show on a Friday night. Whenever a comic book movie came out, I could always count on going with the boys and then listening for several hours after about how it didn’t follow the original story at all and the thing with these movies is . . .

Theoretically, it would be possible to see movies in a theatre here. There is a movie theatre in Elbasan (and I am in Elbasan usually about twice a week or more). They have one screen and show relatively recent releases (meaning within the last 6 months). Outside the theatre, there is a sign that has show times and prices. You can see a movie there for 200 Lek (about $2) if . . .

If the theatre is open
If the projectionist is there
If you have enough people with you
If the electricity is on
If the staff feels like it
If you don’t try to come during nap time
If you don’t have to catch a bus home before 7PM
If the moon and stars align

So far, I have not been successful in fulfilling all of these ifs. Today when I went with my friend Leslie to see if we might be able to see a 1:00 show of I am Legend (which I didn’t actually see at home), we were told to come back at 5:00 and they might have a show then. Of course the last bus home leaves at 6:30.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like entertainment may be a rare comodity. Your permanent site sounds (and looks on the map) even more remote. I think you can handle it. On the island of Yap, they only get one boat and onw plane per month.