Monday, May 19, 2008

It's not broken

The good news is, it's not broken.

Last week on a camping trip in Belsh, a town near by town of Cerrik, I twisted my ankle in the middle of the night (wine+dark+hole in the ground=bad). With a little bit of creativity and good old Peace Corps spirit, Maggie wrapped my ankle in a pair of long underwear, secured by duct tape and in the morning I was able to hobble down the mountain. My ankle was swollen and bruised, but I could put some weight on it and was able to walk (slowly, slowly).

After about a week, the ankle seemed to basically be healed. The bruise (ugly, purple) was gone, the swelling was reduced and it was no longer tender. And then I woke up on Sunday in extreme pain. But the pain wasn't from my ankle, it was from the side of my foot.

I called the PC Medical office and the our lovely Medical Officer decided to bring me up to Tirana to have a look at it. He thought that it was possilbe that in the process of the twisting, I could have fractured my 5th metatarsel, the bone going up to my pinky toe. I came up this morning (in a swanky PC SUV, not a furgon!) and we went this afternoon to have an x-ray. It's not broken, but I probably pulled a ligamant (from my ankle connected to my foot bone) and I will be on crutches for at least a week. I'm going to stay in Tirana tonight (since it is already late and driving on the scary Tirana-Elbasan road- or for that matter anywhere in Albania- is not recommend).

The real fun part will be trying to go up the five flights of stairs to my apartment on crutches. . .

4 comments:

Sandra Jean said...

I hope you're feeling alright. I'm glad there wasn't any serious damage.

Inday said...

I'm glad it is OK. I remember trying to carry a new baby while on crutches. And having to wrap a cast in plastic in order to take a shower. To get up the stairs while on crutches, I sat down and slid up the steps on my rear!
Love, MOM

Unknown said...

Oh noes!! Be careful!

becca said...

Off the crutches now and feeling much better! thanks for the good wishes!