Friday, July 20, 2007

end of one, beginging of another

For the past six weeks I've been working at a summer day camp for middle school students. For me, camp had a rough start. I didn't really want to do the camp, I didn't think we were ready to do it. Really, we weren't ready to do it. The first week was kind of a disaster- my ipod got stolen, I felt miserable, we weren't prepared and the staff fought the whole week. After the first week, things got a lot better. I relaxed and we were more ready. We had some fun field trips and great guest artists. The kids had fun, I think. We finished it all off with three days in the mountains; horseback riding, swimming in cold lakes and hot springs, chopping wood, scary stories and s'mores. Camping was great. It was actually a lot less stressful than I had expected and I had a lot of fun. From week one to week six there was an amazing turn around. I'm happy we did the camp (even though I still think we weren't really ready for it). Today was my last day at the YESS Institute. It was actually kind of sad. I have never left a job before I hated it before. Usually when you quit your job, it is because you can no longer imagine ever setting foot in that building ever again. With this job, I expect that I will be back to volunteer and visit. I really didn't hate my job. Weird.

Tonight was the first night of staff training for the next chapter: Building Bridges for Peace. BBFP is a program that I have been involved with off and on for the past 9 years. After a two summer hiatus, I am returning as a counselor for the third time. Tonight was great. People I haven't seen in years: got to see them. People that I met for the first time, but I'm sure that they will be great friends: got to see them. I'm so excited for camp. . . it's been too long.

Other things: I saw Nancy Drew the other day. . . the critics have no idea what they are talking about. It was great. It was exactly like the books and seeing it with Wendy and Amanda was awesome. Next: Serial Novels Picnic- get your bobby socks ready!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linus said...

I'd like to see Nancy Drew as well. When I was of the proper age, I secretly read just as many Nancy Drews as Hardy Boys - because even at age 10 I was terribly gay for a straight boy...

hubs said...

at first i though you were talking about the denver band the nancy drews: http://www.myspace.com/nancydrewsmusic

pretty different from the movie i'm sure.