Monday, July 2, 2007

Ok, so now you can stop asking

My application is in. For the past two years, I have been "working" on my application to the Peace Corps. PC is something that I have always wanted to do, literally since I was four years old. My parents are RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteers) and have been involved in the PC association in Denver since before I was born. When I was a kid, we would go to meetings and my name tag would say "Rebecca, Future Volunteer: Location unknown 2004-2006" 2004 being the year I should have graduated from college (if I hadn't continued to get my MA). So I'm a few years late, but I'm finally following through. This is the right time for me to go. My job ends in August and although I could have extended my position another year, I don't think that this is exactly what I want to be doing. I'm not married, don't have a boyfriend to keep me here. I have been living with my parents for a year and have saved a significant amount of money. There is no reason not to go. I'm ready. I hope that they are ready for me.

1 comment:

Linus said...

I love the Peace Corps idea, but my experience with them, which consists of watching several friends apply to them, has been somewhat disappointing. I have been thoroughly underwhelmed by their expectation that bright, capable people would stay in a holding pattern for months or even years, waiting for the PC to grant them a placement. I hope your experience goes somewhat better.