Sunday, May 20, 2007

I want to be on a winning team. Just once, I want to be on the championship team. . . the team that makes it to the playoffs. . . the team that wins more than one game a season. It's not really about my team. I love my team. They are great people. They are super nice and super fun to play with. But, sometimes I just want to be on the winning team. In high school, I played soccer all four years. I think we won a couple games when I was a freshmen. During my sophomore year, we didn't even score a goal. All year long. My junior year, I remember the first game that we won. It was a great feeling.

So far this year, we have not won a game. We have actually come pretty close to winning a couple of times. Today was really discouraging. I didn't feel like anyone was really in it. During the game today, I had a few conversations about this issue. One of my friends pointed out that I could join another team; I knew what I was getting in to when I stayed on this team (we only won one game last regular season). True, I knew that they were not the best team in the league, but I felt like we were getting better. In fact, (with the exception of today) we have been playing great, but still just not able to get it together enough for the win. Another friend had a theory: maybe people are not trying as hard as they can because it is easier (mentally) to lose when you don't put all of your heart and soul into it. If you can just make it a joke then it won't hurt so much. I guess I just don't work that way. I'm a really competative person when it comes down to it. But I don't feel like my team is the same. They try, but I don't think that they really want it. I want it. I want to win. I love my team, but just for a moment, I wish I were on the winning team. Is that so wrong?

Score today: Drinkin' 40's- 4 billion, Science for the People-2

2 comments:

Linus said...

My volleyball team is also victory impaired... I feel your pain.

becca said...

Yeah, but you made it to the playoffs!! Yeah Naughty Smurfs!