Monday, May 21, 2007

follow that friendship. . .

An update on a developing story:

In May of last year Nichole, my best friend of almost 10 years, moved out of our shared apartment unexpectedly leaving me feeling dazed and confused. She also left me with a bed (that I moved and stored) and no concievable way to pay the rent on my own, forcing me to move back into my parent's house (where I am still living, having decided that saving money on rent was a good thing). I've already talked a bit about this here.

Today I got an e-mail from her. It is almost exactly a year ago that the whole thing went down (she moved out a week and a half after Mother's Day, we had our big blow-out fight about it on May 30.) To sum up the letter, she said that she was thinking about me because my birthday was coming up (two weeks from yesterday) and that she treated me horribly, made mistakes in our friendship and took me for granted. She hopes that I can accept her apology and eventually become friends again.

I don't really know what to think yet. I have been saying all year that I would not make the move. I felt hurt and I wanted her to appologize. So now the ball's in my court, so to speak. I think that I forgive her, but I don't even know what to say to her. I don't know that I want to be friends again and I don't think things can ever go back to the way they were. She says that she misses me. Part of me misses her too, how could I not, after 10 years of friendship. But part of me doesn't miss her. I'll be honest: she is kind of a high maintenence friend. I don't know if I can take her drama right now. I think that I had thought that I had calmed down about this over the past year but maybe I'm still too angry. The one thing I know for sure: I need to do some thinking about what (if anything) I should say to her.

1 comment:

Linus said...

Her kind of drama is just not necessary. How much trouble would it have been for her to handle the situation in a more mature fashion? Oh, that's right - NONE. No trouble at all, really.

You deserve better friends, honey.